The temps have been getting warm in CT and NJ, so I decided to stop using my vest and try a chest pack for the first time. I was in Target when I spotted the SwissGear Vertical Travel Bag. For $22, I was willing to give it a try.
The pack measures 10″ x 8″ x 3″. With 4 zippered pockets, it has more than enough room for the gear that I usually carry with me for the day.
Here’s how I have it packed, front to back:
- On the outside I have floatant, forceps, fly patch and line clipper
- Zippered pocket #1 carries a box of dry flies
- Zippered pocket #2 has a box of nymphs, split shot and a box of streamers
- Zippered pocket #3 is filled with tippet spools, hook sharpener, bug spray and extra leaders. There is also a separate zippered mesh pocket inside and several compartments
- Zippered pocket #4: holds my buff and cell phone
- There are pouches on the back that I use to carry my camera.
I’ve had it on three trips so far. It has been comfortable and convenient to carry and use. It does not have a chest strap, so it may swing out when you bend down, but this is rarely an issue.
Even when it is packed as mentioned above, there is more than enough room for a water bottle, sandwich, windbreaker, sunglasses or other equipment. If you’re looking to try chest pack this will do the trick. Enjoy!
The Wife says
The Wife´s last blog post ..Thank You.